Ballston Spa Village Board/Ballston Journal

Village Spends $87,500 on DPW Trucks

BALLSTON SPA  – The Village Board on Monday voted to spend $87,500 to buy two secondhand dump trucks for the Department of Public Works, and to rebuild the frame on another DPW truck it owns, at a total cost of $87,500.

The two trucks, costing $58,000 and $21,000, will be purchased from Delurey Sales & Service of North Hoosick, in an emergency procedure which eliminates the need for bids. They will replace 1991 and 1993 Ford trucks, Mayor John Romano said, which the village mechanic had determined would not pass inspection without repairs that would not be cost-effective.

Ballston Spa Village Board/Ballston Journal

Ballston Spa Village Board/Ballston Journal

Deputy Mayor and Trustee Stuart Hodsoll said the trucks are needed now for snow plowing. Romano said the money will be raised by issuing five-year bonds.

In better news for the village’s bottom line, the board approved construction of a new cell phone tower for Verizon, which would bring in initial revenue of $24,000 per year, with 2 percent annual increases over the next five years. Romano noted that the tower still needs approval from the town of Milton, where it would be built on village-owned property east of Rowland Street.

The board approved three income-based rehabilitation grants for single-family homes, worth $25,888 on Malta Avenue, $24,380 on Saratoga Avenue, and $16,674 on Middle Street. The state and federal funding is through the New York State Homes and Community Renewal program, the mayor said.

The board approved $2,562 for an underground snow-melting system on parts of Front and Bath streets. Romano also praised Eagle Scout Michael Bucholtz and volunteers for building a black rail fence on the Front Street side of the parking lot across Bath Street from Village Hall.

Asked after the meeting about the decision by Walmart not to build a store just south of the village line, Romano said he did not know whether the planned sidewalk construction and road work on Routes 50 and 67 would go forward. Some of this agreed-to work had been suggested by the village engineer to accommodate increased traffic that was expected following construction of a new Walmart. Those are state routes, Romano said, over which the village does not have jurisdiction.

The mayor declined to comment about Walmart’s decision, which comes after many years of the company expressing interest in building there, which drew some controversy.

To comment on this news item, log in and post below, or email reporter [email protected].

Share


Reporter Bob Conner has worked 21 years in various positions at the Gazette of Schenectady, and before that four years as a reporter at the Glens Falls Post-Star. He won two first-place writing awards from the New York Associated Press Association for newspapers with circulation between 50,000 and 250,000. Bob has a Phi Beta Kappa bachelor’s degree in journalism from New York University, and an associate’s degree in chemical dependency counseling from HVCC. He is a published author and is currently writing a historical novel about the last four months in the life of Ulysses S.Grant


Copyright © All rights reserved.