The Ballston Journal is THE hometown subscriber news media for the Village of Ballston Spa, Town of Malta, Town of Ballston, Town of Milton, Rock City Falls and the Ballston Spa School District. The paper has a rich history of reaching thousands upon thousands of local residents on a daily and weekly basis.
Serving Saratoga County since 1798, it is the only local news source with a proud tradition of community journalism that has endured for over 200 years making it one of the oldest news media in the country.
Owned and operated by five generations of the Grose/Hogan family, the Ballston Journal became property of the Hearst Corporation on July 1, 1999 (http://www.hearst.com/press-room/pr-19990701b.php) before it changed hands again in April, 2009 to Angela McFarland, the paper’s 2nd non-family owner and first ever female publisher http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2009/04/27/daily3.html – See more at: https://theballstonjournal.com/business-directory/listins/the-ballston-journal-ballston-spa-news/#sthash.koXXwuUp.dpuf
According to fifth generation family owner of the Journal, Charles Hogan, The Ballston Journal started as a weekly newspaper, with the title of the Independent American. It later took on the title of the Ballston Journal. In the second half of the nineteenth century it became a five-day-a-week daily paper with the title, Ballston Daily Journal.
In 1938, Charlie Grose, Jr. was publisher. He returned the paper to a weekly paper and resumed the title Ballston Journal. He was third generation owner and father of fourth generation owner, CH Grose, formerly of Milton, who ran the paper for many years with his wife, Edith M. (Kate) Grose.
The paper was produced locally by printing presses located on Bath Street. The Grose family did a number of major printing jobs for large and small companies over the years and was also the proud owner of the weekly Pennysaver, and other local community tabloids in service to a number of area neighborhoods.
Hogan adds, “Various other papers have existed in Ballston Spa, most of them short-lived. The one that lasted the longest was the Ballston News. It was published in what is now the Historian’s Office in the basement of what is now the Village Hall. During the nineteenth century, papers often had political designations. During this period, the Journal was the ‘Republican paper’ and the News was the ‘Democratic paper’, so the school would have been careful to put copies of both papers in the time capsule. Otherwise, people would have assumed that they were making a political statement.”
Publisher Angela McFarland is a long-time Ballston Spa resident and life-long Capital District media and marketing veteran. She has owned and published up to five direct mail media with hyper-centric community focus, spent several years with a national company that offered neighborhood advertising programs, dabbled in radio sales and billboard advertising — all after starting an unplanned career in advertising with a community newspaper in her early 20’s. McFarland is co-owner of FoodHomeLifeStyle.com, principal of NewzMedia Holdings LLC, a private marketing coach and sales training professional.